Re: gcc 3.3 java (and objective c?) fix for 2.6 arm kernels

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 07:35:38AM -0600, Bill Gatliff wrote:

> >Since gcc 3.3 is no longer maintained, and debian sid doesn't ship
> >gcj-3.3 anymore, it's not much use submitting bugs with either the gcc
> >or the debian project, but I _have_ filed a debian bug for the libgc
> >package (bugs.debian.org/335816) since this also affects a number of
> >other packages that depend on libgc.
>
> Not sure I understand your "gcc 3.3. is no longer maintained" comment,

>From gcc.gnu.org:

Previous release series:  GCC 3.3.6 (released 2005-05-03)
    This is the last release from the 3.3.x series; the branch has been
    closed after the release.

> since gcj-3.3.5 ships with sarge (which suggests that it hasn't been
> completely abandoned).  Are you implying that we won't be seeing a
> working gcj sarge package for ARM?

It's unlikely that the sarge gcj (actually, libgcj4) package will be
rebuilt just for this, yes.  This is unfortunate, because it means
that there won't be any debian stable java support on 2.6 arm kernels
until etch comes out in December 2006, but that's the way things are,
I guess..

You can of course always rebuild gcc-3.3-3.3.5 yourself..

cheers,
Lennert