Re: Big endian in debian ARM

On Friday 27 May 2005 16:19, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 04:07:26PM +0200, Marco Canini wrote:
> > Normally you would be right but in the case of IXP2400 this's not
> > necessarily true. Indeed the IXP2400 is a network processor and here is
> > employed to transmit data at 3 Gbps. In my case I've no problems in
> > making byte swaps, but I had preferred not to. However in general making
> > byte swaps for every packet you process would result in a performance
> > loss.
>
> Doesn't the microengine chips have a byte swap instruction or some way
> to byteswap data to be exchanged with the xscale?  If it doesn't someone
> left out a rather useful feature in a network processor.

The microengines can also work in little endian, however the network is big
endian, plus programming in this field shows that you don't want to waste any
microengine cycles. So it's really inconvenient to put microengines in LE
mode, and practically no one is doing that.
On the XScale side things are different. You get it right when you say that
the XScale has to handle only exceptions, but you've to clear what you mean
by exception. In this case the exception packets are not fixed and you can
chose what you consider an exception. However the important part is that when
a packet is marked as exception it's not passed to XScale, only a packet
handle reaches the software running on that. So if you have to process a
packet there you will finish to copy & byte swap all the parts of the packet
you consider of some interest.
Since it's clearly easier to have the XScale running in BE mode that's what
MontaVista has done.
So here I don't have a LE linux running on this hardware and using debootstrap
I won't be able to install Debian starting from it.
That's make me think to use a port of Fedora to XScale BE, however I would
prefer to use Debian.
Do you have some suggestions?

Thanks

--