Re: Debian on ARM Intel Mainstone

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 12:10:54PM +0200, Vincent Derrien wrote:
> I want to test my software on the Intel Xscale Mainstone developpement
> Board based on ARM XScale PXA270 CPU.
> For this, I need to install Debian-ARM but I've two solutions :
> - Netboot install. But I don't know which can I use (netwinders, lart, ...)
> - Rootfs already build to install NFS, but I don't find it
>
> Do you have any idea ?

The way I got Debian-arm installed first time was:

Load the redhat 7.x based system the board maker offers, then use
debootstrap to create a new fs in a subdir or another partition.

chroot to the new dir, and set things up (network config, modules,
hostname, fstab, etc, all the stuff debootstrap doesn't do), then
apt-get install whatever is needed to build a new kernel.

get kernel sources, patch them with board maker's patches, and use
make-kpkg to build the kernel and then install with dpkg -i.  Transfer
kernel files to wherever the systems boot loader wants it.

Reboot with new kernel and root= setting pointing to the new debian
install.

If you machine is not explicitly one of the ones listed as supported by
debian for installing (netwinder, etc) then you have to do it manually
as described above.

Len Sorensen