Unable to compile kernel to completion

I've been building the kernel on a slug.  It seems to be unable to
build to completion.  I get odd errors such as this:

  CC      net/ipv4/af_inet.o
  net/ipv4/af_inet.c: In function `inet_release':
  include/net/sock.h:407: sorry, unimplemented: inlining failed in call to '': ord
  net/ipv4/af_inet.c:376: sorry, unimplemented: called from here
  make[2]: *** [net/ipv4/af_inet.o] Error 1
  make[1]: *** [net/ipv4] Error 2
  make: *** [net] Error 2

When I restart, all is well and it continues where it left off.

Now, I have swap, about 156MiB of it.  I switched to gcc-3.4 in order
to build modules compatibile with the kernel I'm running.  Same
behavior as with 3.3.

Familiar?  Unfamiliar?