Guys:

Not my preference to jump in the middle of something, but...

I have a fairly reliable DSL line, with an unused Sun Blade 100 and a number of ARM and MIPS boards behind it. If anyone wants to help me get them set up for buildd, drop me an email.

b.g.

Darren Salt wrote:

I demand that Anthony Towns may or may not have written...

Darren Salt wrote:
I demand that Anthony Towns may or may not have written...
Put them behind a firewall on a trusted LAN, use them to develop software
for arm chips, and then just follow unstable or run
non-security-supported snapshots. Apart from writing software for
embedded arm things, I can't see the value
"Linux desktop box" comes to mind...

But why would you spend over 1000 pounds on an arm Linux desktop box
instead of a few hundred pounds on a random i386 desktop box?

Compatibility with what I already have and use? The older hardware won't last
forever (and this Risc PC, for example, is 10 years old)...

A reasonable answer is because you're developing for arm's for embedded
applications; but if so, what's the big deal with using unstable or
snapshots, and running your public servers on other boxes?

What's wrong with people just using them as desktop boxes, using both OSes?
[1]

-- and if an arch is just going to be used for development, does it
really need all the support we give stable in order to make it useful for
servers and such?
Probably not, but ISTM that you'll first have to ascertain that it *is*
only being used for development before you can say that that support
definitely isn't needed.

Uh, you've got that round the wrong way: you don't do something because you
can't say support definitely isn't needed, you do something because you
*can* say support definitely *is* needed.

That may well be, but ISTM that you implied that the arch isn't going to be
used for non-development tasks...

If so, why? If not, what level of support does it need, that goes beyond
"unstable + snapshotting facility", and why? Debian developers [...]
You're focusing too much on development here. There are users too, you
know... :-)

Haven't seen any evidence of it -- developers and vendors, yes, users, or
uses, no...

I can't answer all of that myself, but there are people who can.

(Adding debian-arm. Note followups to both lists.)

[1] Not at the same time, of course. ;-)

--
Bill Gatliff
Embedded Linux *is* user friendly, it just chooses its friends carefully.