Re: detect usb ports

At 10:32 AM 12/16/2004 +0100, Manenti Giovanni wrote:
Hi, I've used the configuration options in the Linux kernel for the
Cirrus EP93xx to enable usb support but when I switch on the
machine(ep9312 producted by Cirrus Logic with core ARM920T) it didn't
detect the usb ports. The version of the kernel is 2.4.21.

This is the configuration options that I used:

Plug and Play configuration  --->
             <*> Plug and Play support

SCSI support  --->
              <*> SCSI support
              <*>   SCSI disk support

USB support  --->
              <*> Support for USB
              [*]   Preliminary USB device filesystem
              <*>   UHCI Alternate Driver (JE) support
              <*>   EP93xx OHCI-compatible host interface support
              <*>   USB Mass Storage support

There are many other option to use?

Checking this against the default configuration that Cirrus provides with its 2.4.21-rmk1 kernel, this all looks correct. (Except that USB does not *require* PnP, as I understand it.) And I can tell you that the stock Cirrus kernel does support plug-in USB drives, and a USB keyboard and mouse, on an EDB9315. For keyboard and mouse support, you also want to enable:

<*>   USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support                  ¦ ¦
  ¦ ¦[*]     HID input layer support

So ... an ep9312 is a chip, not a "machine" ... do you mean the EDB9312 Development Kit from Cirrus, or are we talking about some custom board that uses the ep9312 SoC? If the second, might there be a hardware problem?

Does "didn't detect" mean that literally (nothing, or nothing "good", in dmesg about usb)? Or is the kernel failing to detect some specific USB device(s)? Or is there a problem with /proc/dev/usb? Or ....