Re: [FYI] Cleanup of linux pass_all

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 11:31 +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> I'm all for having Libtool tell you that you can't link non-PIC code
> into a shared library on platforms that don't support that -- but that
> needs to be done by actually checking you're trying to do that, rather
> than using an incorrect assumption.

It seems that the linker would be in a much better position to diagnose
attempts to link non-PIC into a DSO than libtool is.  So, at least where
GNU ld is used, I think it'd be better for libtool not to try to
determine compatibility for itself, and instead add that check to ld on
platforms where it's important.

p.