Re: ARM-Linux guide lines

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 04:58:36PM +0200, olivier.delouya@takasic.fr wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback, Len
>
> Then, is it time to establish a common reference implementation?

The ARM processors are used in such a variety of devices that one design
won't fit all cases.  Some run from flash, some load to ram and run,
some have PCI, some have LPC, and some have ISA, while some have no
expansion bus at all.  Some devices have IDE or flash card slots, some
don't, some have ethernet, some don't.  Try making firmware that handles
all those different cases and preferably is very small too.

So far every arm design has done it's own thing to fit their
requirements it seems.  Not sure if any of the arm reference designs
(which I assume do exist) are supported by any of the generic boot
loaders (like u-boot and such).

> For the record, this project tends to build system-on-chip processor with
> graphic
> device controllers integrated to make printer controller boards with one
> single chip..
> And we have chosen an ARM926 IP design (from ARM) and debian 2.6.4 as rtos
>
> to support printer firmware

Well they are great cpus, as long as your code doesn't require much FPU
work (since that is emulated).

I didn't know 2.6 ram well on arm boards yet, although I haven't tried,
since the board I use only runs 2.4 at the moment, and I don't feel like
attempting the port to 2.6 myself.

Len Sorensen