Trying to resurrect my Netwinder

I'm in a bind with my old Netwinder. I'd like to get it running Debian again...I've got an install on there circa 1999, and I cannot for the life of me remember the root password. Since my original hard drive failed, I don't have a rescue partition.

So, I'm trying to install with the kernel, initrd, and boot.img from testing. I can load the kernel just fine, but I'm having trouble getting / mounted correctly. Do I need to use rdconfig and rdfile to specify boot.img? Or do I need to extract something and share it under NFS?

Thanks for the help.
---