Porting issue .

hi all,
              i have an issue here. i have been stuck with this problem for quite sometime now. The following code runs smoothly on Linux , when run on my PC ( intel x86 ). But, when i run it after cross compiling it for ARM processor, it seg faults. After doing some trails , i'am of the conclusion that:
1) the program causes a segmentation fault only if it writes [  *blkPtr = ((char*) blkPtr + 8) ] to an address which is not divisible by four, and hence when i try to retrieve the value from such a location ( blkPtr = *blkPtr) i get the swapped values ( i.e if *blkPtr was 0x11223344, i would get it as 0x44112233 :-(   in blkPtr ).
And the next time thru the loop , *blkPtr would obviously point to some memory location much outside the allocated (malloc'ed) range, and thus the program seg faults,when it tries to de-reference that address.

Now, in my program i would want to write to locations which are not divisible by 4 and still want the program to work properly. i have tried some compiler options too, but of no use.
Could someone bail me out of this ?
The following code works fine on my PC running Linux kernel version 2.4, gcc - 2.96.
i use
arm-linux-gcc test.c  to cross compile it for ARM. And arm-linux-gcc is built by someone else.

main()
{
    void **blkPtr;
    char *Buffer;
    int i;
    Buffer = (char *) malloc(10000);  // i get an address divisible by 4 consistently , i.e (Buffer % 4 ) is always 0.
    //    Buffer++;         if i leave this uncommented and run it on ARM, it crashes.
    blkPtr = (void **)Buffer;

    *blkPtr =(void *) ((char *) blkPtr + 8);
    printf("<1> *blkPtr = %X \n",*blkPtr);
    blkPtr  = (void **) *blkPtr;
    printf("<2> blkPtr = %X \n",blkPtr);

}

PS: This code runs smoothly on an ARM if i make sure i write to word boundaries . i.e if i comment out Buffer++.
Hope its a known problem and someone helps :-) !
And the ARM iam running it on is configured as Little-Endian.