Re: Bigloo on Linux/ARM

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 11:34:36AM +0200, I wrote:
> I'll try to build at -O0, and then at -O1 if -O0 worked, and will let you
> know.  I should also have a closer look at how gcc-3.2 performs, but that
> would be a pain to have to use it, since it's supposed to be phased out from
> Debian...

Here is my status of the issue:

- the problem still exists with "gcc-3.3 -O0"
- a diff of an ARM build tree against an i386 one shows no difference
(appart from comments and strings showing setup information)

The 1st point rules out a possible bug in a gcc optimisation; the 2nd one
rules out possible problems impacting the scheme->C part of the bigloo
compiler's job.

Unless I miss something, that leaves us with the following possibilities:

- problem in the bigloo executable after C generation (I don't know enough
here to rule out this possibility, but intuitively I don't give it much
weight)

- generated C code has arm-specific portability issues - Philip mentionned
structure alignment as a common problem

- gcc-3.[34] at least has a non-optim-related arm-specific bug

Next step: I've launched a build with --cflags=-g --coflags=-O1 and will try
to pinpoint the precise problem.  Stay tuned.

--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
Debian-related: <dirson@debian.org> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: