Re: xfree86 4.3 cannot be auto-built

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 13:59, James Troup wrote:
> Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 10:02, Josh Metzler wrote:
> >> Sorry if this has already been communicated to you by someone else.
> >>
> >> It looks like xfree86 4.3 needs to be handbuilt, and that it is fairly
> >> urgent that this happen.  Until it is built, no packages Build-Depending
> >> on xlibs-dev can build (including xfree86 itself, which is why it needs
> >> hand-built).
> >
> > I can get it done by Monday or so...  If someone else can do it sooner,
> > please go ahead.
>
> No, you can't.  It doesn't build due to a gcc ICE (#223633) which is
> being worked on.

Really?  A 4.3.0 pre-release for experimental built just fine on ARM.
Well, it's building now, we'll see what happens.  And 223633 is a
kernel-package issue...

> And in any event, Josh is wrong, it doesn't need
> hand-built, please leave it to be auto-built.

Really?  When I tried to install the build-depends (in my otherwise
minimal chroot), it failed because the new arch-independent xlibs(-dev)
depends on the split-out libX(-dev) packages, which don't exist yet.  I
had to downgrade to sarge, install, then re-upgrade, and of course
xlibs(-dev) failed to upgrade.  I don't see how the autobuilders are
going to manage this, unless they can downgrade xlibs(-dev) too...

Cheers,
--
-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg