Re: Suggestions for how ARM Ltd could help Debian?

+++ James Horton [03-12-16 11:04 -0500]:
> Wookey wrote:
>
> Hello Wookey,

(hi James)

> How about a master list of arm processors, the port location,
> author/maintainer toochain, peripherals supported, version of Linux
> kernel, device drivers available, etc etc. ALL specific to embedded
> linux ala-debian. That way somebody could quickly research what ARM
> chipsets to use for a new design, and the current state of the Debian-ARM
> TOOLS.

That's a very good idea, thanx. Maintaining such a list is a non-trivial task,
but it would certainly be very useful.

> That said I am frequently asked to be involved in ARM-DEBIAN decisions
> by small embedded and manufacturing companies, because I have shown
> some cool products in the past. HOWEVER, it is an uphill journey every
> time. Most embedded vendors do not want to move to a 2.6 kernel base.
> I'm very tired of proprietary embedded linux marketing. I think this is an
> excellent place for ARM to set the standard, and what better platform
> than DEBIAN..... It not that a vendor offeing embedded linux is a bad
> idea, it's all of the crap that they inject, so as to make you think you
> actually needs their confusion to be successful with embedded linux.

Indeed. People tend to forget this. Can you give me an example of the 'crap
they inject' as I've mostly avoided the various embedded vendor solution in
any detail. I recall lineo's config system was one such thing?

> Many of us do not have to the ability to only work on embedded linux
> or on  a Debian development host. But, when we have a chance to
> use that (optimal) platform, it needs to be quick for us to come up
> to speed with the choices, the tool chains, and outsourcing options
> ( that is consulting dollars for persons who know this optimal platform
> better than I do, so they can save my bacon for some quick cash!)

Agreed and noted.

Wookey