Re: #215067 mozilla FTBFS

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 08:40:57AM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> Does ARM store doubles in a non-IEEE way?  Is it secretly big-endian for
> its float/double emulation, and little-endian for ints?  What else could
> be wrong with mozilla's assumptions about double format?

I suspect you've found mozilla's bug. ARM doubles are mixed endian.

IIRC the bits in the 32 bit words are stored little endian as you would
expect, but the words are ordered big endian in memory.
(At least for the ABI that Debian uses)

(I will be corrected if I have this the wrong way round)

Also IIRC this is perfectly legal IEEE, just mighty odd.

Nicholas Clark