problem building python-apt on arm

I'm writing to draw your attention to the buildd failure for the
python-apt package on arm.  See, for example,
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=python-apt&ver=0.5.5.1&arch=arm&stamp=1057233478&file=log&as=raw
The problem has apparently lasted for at least a month, since the
prior month's log shows the same thing.

I noticed the log shows
Checking correctness of source dependencies...
Toolchain package versions: binutils_2.14.90.0.4-0.1 gcc-3.3_1:3.3.1-0pre0 g++-3.3_1:3.3.1-0pre0 libstdc++5_1:3.3.1-0pre0 libstdc++5-3.3-dev_1:3.3.1-0pre0 libc6-dev_2.3.1-17
and then later
unable to execute gcc-3.2: No such file or directory
creating build
creating build/temp.linux-armv4l-2.2
gcc-3.2 -DNDEBUG -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I/usr/include/python2.2 -c python/apt_pkgmodule.cc -o build/temp.linux-armv4l-2.2/apt_pkgmodule.o
error: command 'gcc-3.2' failed with exit status 1

It seems to have built successfully on other platforms.  Obviously if
it sets up gcc 3.3 and then tries to use 3.2 it won't get far.

I am not the package maintainer or a Debian Developer, just an
interested user (I don't even use ARM, but of course the failure to
build there blocks migration into other architectures as well).  I've
noticed apt has been held up for some time, and while tracing it down
I noticed this problem.  There are currently quite a few problems with
apt and related packages, so I'm not sure if anyone's paying any
attention to this particular problem.

It might be good to look into, particular if it turns out to affect a
larger class of packages (e.g., those doing python extensions? users
of gcc?).

There is some slightly related discussion in the python-apt bug I cc'd
on this report.

Given my non-involvement, I won't be offended if you ignore this, but
if it helps, I'll be pleased.