Re: [general] how to get serial console for single user bootup

In message <20030529204745.A16826@kei.netwinder.org>
          Ralph Siemsen <ralphs@netwinder.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 02:34:33AM +0200, Stefan Wuerthner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just tried to use the serial console on my Netwinder under Debian.
> >
> > After editing inittab and securetty, serial works fine on standard
> > (multiuser) bootup.
> >
> > Unfortunately if I boot cmd=single, nothing happens.
>
> I believe you'll need to:
> a) have a kernel compiled for serial-console support
>    (the default debian 2.2 kernel lacks this feature afaik), and
> b) in the firmware, do "setenv cmdappend console=ttyS0,115200"
>     or similar to actually redirect the system console.
>
> You should get all the kernel boot messages, panics, etc., over the
> serial console this way.

Well, I already get:

1. kernel boot messages
2. login for standard startup (multi-user)

Only the login for single user startup is missing...

Stefan

Stefan Wuerthner                             web  http://wuerthner.dyndns.org