debian-arm and zaurus

I tried to use some debian-arm packages with openzaurus on my  zaurus
and it failed ( clisp and I don't remember what else) I got undefined
symbol errors.  ldd showed all neccessary libraries present.  Is this
a generic situation, or do some debian-arm binaries work ok ? I can't
cross compile clisp or gcl because they execute some binaries as part
of the build. I tried to set up  a native compiling environment and
compile over nfs, but get tons of different errors.  This is all
rather confusing and  not nearly so well documented as i386 stuff.
I guess there is relatively just a handful of Z's out there.
Thanks,
John

--
John Lapeyre http://physics.arizona.edu/~lapeyre