Re: Debian unstable kernel 2.4.16 modules?

+++ Phil Blundell [03-11-10 11:38 +0000]:
> on Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:31:54PM +0900, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> > Are there recent Debian tftpboot images (and rescue or install
> > images) somewhere?  Neither testing or unstable in the Debian
> > mirrors seem to offer ARM/Netwinder flavors.
>
> I don't think so.  As far as I know, there hasn't been much work done on debian-installer for ARM.  Vince
> Sanders would know the current status; I've copied this mail to the debian-arm list.

In the abscence of a reply from the man himself my unsertanding of the
current situation is:

Vince got debian-installer working on arm, by adding a sub-arch mechanism to
support the multitude of very different arm platforms. However this was
rejected by the DI team, for reasons I'm not clear about although the fact
that it would mean very large uploads for each supported machine was part of
the problem I think.

Obviously they are primarily concerned with getting DI reasonably
well-polished on i386 right now, but we do have a serious problem with
sub-arch support. Unless something drastic happens arm is going to have to
continue using bootfloppies for sarge or there will a pile of unofficial DI
versions for different machines.

The fundamental problem is that the DI architecture assumes you can have
one kernel for your arch and add modules to deal with hardware variations.
That simply isn't true for ARM.

As phil says - anyone with enthusiasm to work on this is extremely welcome.
Contact kylikki@debian.org for the latest gen.

Wookey