Re: Problems with arm-linux-gcc...

On Fri 19 Apr, Siddharth Choudhuri wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to build an arm cross compiler on
> x86(host) running linux.
>
> I have compiled binutils(2.11), gcc(2-95.3) and
> glibc-2.2.2. kernelheaders-> linux-2.2.2-arm.
>
> When I compile using arm-linux-gcc, I get the
> following error:
> "ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory"
>
> I gave
> --with-libs=$HOME/usr/arm/glibc/arm-linux-glibc/lib
> while configuring and I can see that make install has
> put .so and .a and .o files in proper directory.
>
> Any ideas what needs to be done ?

I don't think you need to give the --with-libs option.
see 'Building the GNU toolchain for ARM HOWTO' here:
http://www.armlinux.org/docs/toolchain/

so maybe that's the problem.

And the more usual answer to this sort of query:
Do you really need to build you own?

That same doc lists 3 pre-compiled cross-compilers you can just download.
There are more now. If you have debian then pointing at the emdebian site and
doing apt-get install task-cross-arm is by far the easiest way to get a
working cross-compiler. It's not quite as uptodate as the versions you give
above, but it works fine for kernel 2.2 and 2.4 compiling, and everyting else
I've tried so far.

Wookey