Re: notes on riscpc install

On Sat 06 Apr, Philip Blundell wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-04-05 at 23:59, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> > K?

> > nick@Bagpuss [nick]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > Processor       : Intel StrongARM-110 rev 2 (v4l)
> > BogoMIPS        : 134.75
> > Features        : swp 26bit fastmult

> > Hardware        : Acorn-RiscPC
> > Revision        : 0000
> > Serial          : 0000000000000000

> Nope, don't think so.  I haven't actually had the lid off to check, but
> it reports as:

> debian:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
> Processor       : Intel StrongARM-110 rev 4 (v4l)
> BogoMIPS        : 222.50
> Hardware        : Acorn-RiscPC
> Revision        : 0000
> Serial          : 0000000000000000
> debian:~#

I assume you are using the machie I lent you ? that does indeed have a rev S
strongaem in it so thing should work properly.

> I'm going to try a 2.4 kernel a bit later on to see if that works any
> better.  I'm a little bit nervous about changing the default at this
> late stage in the game, but 2.4 does seem a lot more stable than last
> time I thought about the idea.  And, of course, 2.2 is no longer
> maintained upstream so it might not be all that smart to go on relying
> on it.

I had a number of people erport that they can boot with 2.4 kernels (~2.4.5)
but not 2.2 kernels (~2.2.13), so on the whole I'd favour 2.4 for the default
unless we find something very bad. It's also necessary for kinetic support,
should anyone ever get round to it.

Wookey