Re: notes on riscpc install

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 11:11:03PM +0100, Philip Blundell wrote:
> I used the 3.0.22 boot-floppies images from the archive, and installed
> over the network.  The standard kernel crashed fairly frequently during
> the install; I replaced it with one built from 2.2.20-rmk3 sources and
> didn't have any further trouble on that score.  I'm not sure yet what
> was going on there.

Correction - *pre-*2.2.20-rmk3.  It's not a released stable kernel _yet_,
and you've found out why.

> Strace doesn't appear to behave properly.  It just displays the first
> "execve" line, and then nothing further (though the inferior runs to
> completion as normal).  An identical strace binary seems to work OK on
> one of my other machines, so perhaps this is a kernel problem of some
> kind.

Something got forgotten in the 2.2.20 update.  This is why it's important
to have people testing the stuff and feeding back.

> As an aside, selecting 16bpp at the text console with "fbset -bpp 16"
> seemed to be fine apart from the cursor, which disappeared at first and
> then changed to purple.  Selecting 24bpp in this way gave the same error
> as I was getting with X.

I think that's probably a bug in the generic fbcon layer, but shrug.

24bpp is not supported by the VIDC20.  32bpp is.  See VIDC20 data
4.1.26 Control Register (conreg): Address EH

Only 1bpp, 2bpp, 4bpp, 8bpp, 16bpp and 32bpp depths are supported.

> Fourthly, once I managed to get the server started, the keyboard was all
> screwed up.  This is presumably an effect of the infamous
> Archimedes-style scancodes that the kernel uses here.  Using "-kb" is a
> partial workaround, but something better is clearly required.  I filed
> #141392.

"Something better" is the input layer that's coming along nicely in
2.4 / 2.5, which gives a sane view of all input devices, including
keyboards, mice, etc.