Re: notes on riscpc install

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 11:11:03PM +0100, Philip Blundell wrote:
> This afternoon I installed woody from scratch on a RiscPC.  All in all I
> think it was a relatively successful enterprise, though there were a few
> sticky areas.  Maybe these notes will be helpful if anybody is
> interested in documenting the process or fixing the problems.
>
> I used the 3.0.22 boot-floppies images from the archive, and installed
> over the network.  The standard kernel crashed fairly frequently during
> the install; I replaced it with one built from 2.2.20-rmk3 sources and
> didn't have any further trouble on that score.  I'm not sure yet what
> was going on there.
>
> After rebooting the system at the end of the first stage install, you
> have to manually arrange to launch the kernel with the right "root="
> argument in order to start the second stage (and of course for all
> subsequent boots).  This is a bit more technical than it probably ought
> to be, but probably unavoidable.
>
> Update-menus segfaulted during base-config.  When I started trying to
> debug that problem, it went away.  I'm not sure if this was just some
> random effect, or a symptom of further kernel problems, or something
> more sinister.

K?

nick@Bagpuss [nick]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : Intel StrongARM-110 rev 2 (v4l)
BogoMIPS        : 134.75
Features        : swp 26bit fastmult

Hardware        : Acorn-RiscPC
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000

> Fourthly, once I managed to get the server started, the keyboard was all
> screwed up.  This is presumably an effect of the infamous
> Archimedes-style scancodes that the kernel uses here.  Using "-kb" is a
> partial workaround, but something better is clearly required.  I filed
> #141392.

I think this was where I stalled when trying the 4.0.something X Server.
[at which point I starting getting bogged down in things-I-need-to-do-before-
perl 5.8]

IIRC if I commented out the lines to use xkbd in the Config then it mostly
worked, but I had no space bar (or cursor keys or function keys, IIRC)

Nicholas Clark