Re: /proc/therm have unstable content

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 02:29:00PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> The content of /proc/therm sometimes changes without anyone running
> set_therm to modify the HI and LOW values.
>
> I can see this when cat'ing the content, and suddenly it will go from
>
>   Thermostat: HI 50.0, LOW 44.0; temperature: 43.5 C, fan on

>   Thermostat: HI 1.0, LOW 0.0; temperature: 43.5 C, fan on
>
> Do anyone have any idea why this happens?

This is a "known issue", from time to time you do get bogus readings on
all three numbers.  Normally the bogus reading is 0, though you appear
to be seeing 1 as well.

I suspect this is the same problem that causes audio to garble when
there is traffic on the 100-base-T ethernet prot.  It is the 553 ISA
bridge chip.

There was a report that a small timing delay mostly fixes the audio
driver, if this turns out to be correct, it may work for the therm
device as well.

-R