Re: IEEE NaN problems on Arm (as triggered by the r-base package)

In message <[🔎] 20020107005738.GA8276@sonny.eddelbuettel.com>
          Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> My r-base package fails during 'make check' on Arm. One of the upstream
> authors kindly helped in debugging this (and thanks to Phil for creating an
> account for him).
>
> As shown below, the issues seems to be the non-standard treatment of NaN
> values.  Has think come up from other packages?  Does anybody here see a
> workaround, or have other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,  Dirk

The only thing unusual about IEEE values on ARM is that the word
ordering of doubles is opposite to that on x86.  I suspect that it's
this you're running into.   Many compilers have special cases for this.

Otherwise, to the best of my experience (apart from some minor quirks of
which x86 also has its fair share) ARM behaves totally as expected for
IEEE operations.

Peter

 Peter Naulls - peter@chocky.org
 RISC OS Projects Initiative  -  http://www.chocky.org/initiative/