New to arm programming

Greetings, I just subscribed. I am a longtime Linux user, and have been running Debian on PowerPC and x86 for about a year.

It looks like I am about to get some work doing embedded programming on an arm-based chip. I've never programmed arm processors before, and would like to find out more about them.

I think it would also be helpful to me if I got some kind of arm-based desktop machine that I could run Linux on. This wouldn't be so much to develop software for this chip, as to have a convenient platform to study things like arm assembly code and kernel programming in a way that would be easier to do than working on an embedded chip. Can you recommend a machine to buy and tell me where I could find it? Is the Corel Netwinder still manufactured? One of those would probably work well for me.

Finally, can you recommend some books and websites I can read to learn about arm assembly code and the processor architecture?

Maybe later I can help work on linux for arm, but I can't promise anything at the moment because I've been too busy for some time to contribute to free software as much as I would like to. But this new consulting work is very promising for me, so maybe before too long I will be able to afford to take some time off and write Free code.

Best

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford