Re: Debian on the Sharp Zaurus/SL-5xxx

On Wed 19 Jun, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 01:23:35PM +0200, Michael Vogt wrote:

> > shape. We use it at university for a emdebeded system project and the
> > results are good.

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the emdebian
> filesystem building tools is that they use only the files which are
> actually requested.  That is, the resulting system is not based on
> installed Debian packages, and it is not possible to install additional
> Debian packages onto it.

correct. Or at least that is what the emdebsys tool does, as it is aimed at
highly-embedded devices, rather than PDAs. I agree that PDAs need a package
management system of some sort.

However emdebian can be a wide church and I'd be happy if the project was
used for PDA-debian filesystem-generation tools too.

One of the project aims was tools for the generation of cut-down Debian
packages, where the optimisations for locale and application are done at
package-generation or install time rather than run time so that packages are
smaller on the host device. The idea was a that a suitable set of more
specific packages would be generated from debian ones using both general
rules (e.g. throw away all the docs), and more package-specific ones.
medebsys would then work from this pool, but a more PDA-oriented scheme could
just install these packages.

I think some sort of plan/scheme to generate cut-down packages for PDA-debian
is an area that would benefit from some work. Familiar has started doing some
work on this but Idon't think it's formalised or widely used yet.

I'm working on a set of patches for my own survex package to split it into
smaller pieces (4 ipkgs instead of 2 debs) and incorporte this into the
normal build process. Do this for a large enough fraction of packages and you
have PDA-Debian.

> A large part of the reason that I want to run Debian on the Zaurus is that
> I want to be able to install Debian packages on it.

Indeed. Can you not already do that? (sorry, I missed the beginning of this
thread).

Wookey