Re: notes on riscpc install

On Fri, 2002-04-05 at 23:59, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> K?
>
> nick@Bagpuss [nick]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> Processor       : Intel StrongARM-110 rev 2 (v4l)
> BogoMIPS        : 134.75
> Features        : swp 26bit fastmult
>
> Hardware        : Acorn-RiscPC
> Revision        : 0000
> Serial          : 0000000000000000

Nope, don't think so.  I haven't actually had the lid off to check, but
it reports as:

debian:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : Intel StrongARM-110 rev 4 (v4l)
BogoMIPS        : 222.50
Hardware        : Acorn-RiscPC
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000
debian:~#

> IIRC if I commented out the lines to use xkbd in the Config then it mostly
> worked, but I had no space bar (or cursor keys or function keys, IIRC)

Yes, that's the same as I was seeing.  It seems that the appropriate
course of action is to write an XKB description that works with the
wacky scancodes.  (See Branden's response in the bug.)

I'm going to try a 2.4 kernel a bit later on to see if that works any
better.  I'm a little bit nervous about changing the default at this
late stage in the game, but 2.4 does seem a lot more stable than last
time I thought about the idea.  And, of course, 2.2 is no longer
maintained upstream so it might not be all that smart to go on relying
on it.

p.