Re: Unremovable broken package

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 09:09:56PM +0000 or thereabouts, Peter Naulls wrote:
> In message <20010222155304.R8988@patrix.org> you wrote:
>
> I think you meant to reply to the list instead of me.

(I replied to you cause it seems you replied to me and not the list, the first time
around. At least I received the message in my inbox, and not my debian-arm inbox - unless
procmail just wisely decided to get rid of one of the two identical messages ;)  )

> > On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 07:08:39PM +0000 or thereabouts, Peter Naulls wrote:
>
> http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gsfonts-x11/

ok, found it

> Yes, ok - try the other one.
> If the current removal script fails, dpkg will also try the removal
> script from the new package - I suspect this might work in this case.
> You should also make sure all the depenecies are properly met - if not,
> then the removal may go wrong.  In the worst case, you can look at the
> removal scripts themselves (they live in /var/lib/dpkg/info) and see why
> they go wrong.  If you really must, you can remove these scripts, but I
> wouldn't reccomend this, as you might not fully uninstall the package.

No go... Now I get the message (forgot to say what it was) that I originally got:

Unpacking replacement gsfonts-x11 ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gsfonts-x11.postrm: /usr/sbin/update-fonts-scale: No such file or directory
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: /usr/sbin/update-fonts-scale: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing gsfonts-x11_0.12.1_all.deb (--install):
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: /usr/sbin/update-fonts-scale: No such file or directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
 gsfonts-x11_0.12.1_all.deb

update-fonts-scale is missing  (no, I never touched that file, didn't even know it existed)

ok, so if I remove gsfonts-x11.* from /var/lib/dpkg/info, i can remove it. Now when I
install the new package, I still get the same message about update-fonts-scale.  Which
package contains update-fonts-scale?

Thanks,
Patrix.

--