Re: Uh oh, NeTTrom upgrade error!

Rod Stewart wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
>
> > I was just trying to upgrade my nettrom, using 2.3.3 extracted from the rpm,
> > and flashwrite from corel-util 1.2-2, running kernel-image-2.2.13-netwinder.
> > I modprobed nwflash, but there was no /dev/nwflash and MAKEDEV didn't make one
> > (bug?), so I checked the /dev entry in the RedHat partition and did:
> >
> > mknod /dev/nwflash c 10 160
>
> That is correct.  You might also want to create a symlink /dev/flash, but
> I don't believe it is necessary.  I have:
>   [root@stewart-nw15 redhat]# ls -l /dev/*flash*
>   lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            7 Nov 11 12:50 /dev/flash ->
>                                                                 nwflash
>   crw-------    1 root     root      10, 160 Nov  8 15:10 /dev/nwflash
>
> Use flashwrite from the nettrom-2.3-3 rpm package.  The one from
> corel-util may be 'really, really' old.

> Did you reinstall the module after creating the device?  This may be
> necessary.
>
> rmmod nwflash
> modprobe nwflash
> ./flashwrite -base64 nettrom-2.3.3.bin 0

Okay, did both of these, and one of them made the difference, because now it
works!  Thank you!!

But I still can't boot a 2.4 kernel.  The 2.4.0-rmk1 I built says:

     VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 03:03

With cmdappend set to root=/dev/hda3, it says the same thing but with "hda3"
instead of "".  Same with 01:03, with 00:03 it says "Kernel panic: I have no root
and I want to scream".  I kinda like that one. :-)

And a 2.4.1 I got from lkab says:

     devfs: boot_options: 0x2
     Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to ount root fs on 01:00

So I guess this isn't a nettrom thing.  How do I boot these new-fangled kernels?
And I guess I need devfsd to run 2.4.1- until I change /etc/fstab?

Thanks again,

-Adam P.