Re: mozilla and mice

In message <[🔎] 4a46b1451fron@rplund.demon.co.uk>
          RP Lund <ron@rplund.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <[🔎] 4a46a8415bdnl99@ic.ac.uk>,
>    Dan Lund <dnl99@ic.ac.uk> wrote:
> > bit of a two pronged query here.
> > since switching to debian from the rpc redhat in summer ive not been able
> > to get the ps2 mouse working. The sunmouse did work fine (until i had to
> > reinstall everything), but since i keep getting
> > cannot open mouse (no such device)
>
> Try - as root
>
> cd /etc/
> mknod newmouse c 10 6
> chmod 0660 newmouse
> ln -sf /etc/newmouse /etc/mouse

Best _not_ do the above. You mean /dev/ instead of /etc/ - devices don't
live there. RiscPCs don't have PS2 mice - they have quadrature mice aka
"Sun mice" (unless you mean a PS2 mouse adapter of course - but that
still interfaces to RiscPC mouse port) . You're probably just missing
the link:

ln -s /dev/mouse /dev/sunmouse

> > its all specified right in XF86Config and the major and Minor numbers are
> > correct. Mice are compiled into my kernel (2.4.0-rmk3 currently although
> > the 2.2.16-rmk3 one i had didnt work either). Also, how do i get a mouse
> > working in a terminal, ive tried gpm, but like X it doesnt work. Any ideas?

gpm likes to screw with the mouse in X.  You need to set your mouse in
XF86Config to /dev/gpmdata

Peter

 Peter Naulls - peter@erble.freeserve.co.uk
 Homepage - http://free.prohosting.com/~chocky/