From: "Nicholas Clark"<nick@ccl4.org> [mailto:nick@ccl4.org]
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 2:02 PM
To: "Philip Blundell"<philb@gnu.org>
Cc: "Nicholas Clark"<nick@ccl4.org>; <debian-arm@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: perl-5.6

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 06:49:58PM +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> I found the log from a previous attempt at building on europa, and it was the
> same.
>
> Automatic build of perl-5.6_5.6.0-6.2 on europa by sbuild 1.149
> Build started at 20010120-0951
> [...]
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/buildd/build/perl-5.6-5.6.0 cc  -L/usr/local/lib -o miniperl \
>     miniperlmain.o opmini.o libperl.so.5.6.0 -lnsl -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/buildd/build/perl-5.6-5.6.0 ./miniperl -w -Ilib -MExporter -e '<?>' || make minitest
> syntax error at -e line 1, near "use Exporter;
> <?>"
> Execution of -e aborted due to compilation errors.

In which case the most likely cause is a compiler bug.
(I've had occasional problems at different with what seems to be multiple use
of the same register, evident either as things like ldr r3, [r3],#3 or
once with loading a short int using 2 lrdb instructions both targeted at
the same register, all when building perl. Latter problem went away as
soon as I used a temporary variable or stuck printf()s in to try to find
out why a regression test was failing)

Is it possible to arrange for the buildd either to use a different
optimisation level, or to temporarily use a new (or older) compiler?

Else I'll download the source debs try to recreate the problem at home
[and start staring at -O2 output in gdb once again.
Not fun, which is why I'm trying to avoid it]

Nicholas Clark