Building arm kernels

I've just been building a new kernel from rmk's source (rather than a Debian
package) in /usr/src/linux. When I run make Install I get:

sh ./install.sh 2.4.16-rmk1 Image /usr/src/linux/System.map ""
/usr/sbin/mkboot: rdev: command not found
In order to use the new kernel image you have just installed, you
will need to reboot the machine.  First, however, you will need to
either make a bootable floppy diskette or re-run LILO.

Checking for LILO...No

Should I make a bootdisk? (y/n) n

WARNING: Your system is probably unbootable now.  After correcting any
problems, rerun this script with the command `mkboot -installkernel'.

Sorry if I should be RTFM rather than mailing here, but why does arm debian
let me install a /usr/sbin/mkboot script that

1: appears to depend on rdev which doesn't exist here
2: as best I can tell isn't relevant for arm. lilo is x86 only, isn't it?

What should I be doing to correct this situation, so that I don't have to
grovel around in /usr/src/linux/arch/arm/boot/ to find the Image to feed to
the bootloader?

Nicholas Clark