Trouble with X4 and fbdev.

Hello,

I've been trying to get X4 going with fbdev and it's not working still.
I thought someone may have had problems with this before.

The machine is a old Netwinder DM. I installed Debian unstable, upgraded
Perl ot 5.6 and all packages along with that, and got xserver-xfree86
package. This is what's happening: FBdev driver loads fine. fbset
displays a resolution fine. When I start X with startx it takes over the
CPU and blocks all the tty's so I have to SSH in and shut it down. From
the logs I can see that it gets stuck when fbdev tries to check modes:

(II) FBDev(0): Checking Modes against framebuffer device...

I read all the manual pages and found that I can turn off ShadowFB, when
I do this the server goes past the previous line and halts on the next
one, matching modes with monitor:

(II) FBDev(0): Checking Modes against monitor...

I've been hammering at this for a great while now and I simply can't
find the reason this is happening. The only other progress I made is:
I took out the "Modes" lines from the Screen section in XF86Config-4 and
left ShadowFB on. In that case, I got whole whack of Undefined symbol
errors in libfb.a and the server crashes.

Can anyone tell me if there is a Netwinder fbdev X config file out there
that works so I can try that? Or has anyone got fbdev and X4 working on
a Netwinder?

Thanks,
Marko

--
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.  --Rich Cook