Re: XFree86 4 on RiscPC

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 10:35:15AM -0400, Mark Eichin wrote:

> > Mmm. Modern suns have ISA. Am I right in thinking that older Suns don't?
>
> Umm, no, modern suns have *PCI*.  (It is probably fair to say that
> nothing "modern" has ISA :-)

spot the person that confused two TLAs.

Righto. So on the logic that it's a lack-of-ISA on a platform where ISA is
sometimes present, why does XFree86 4.0.2 work on my PC at work?  It doesn't
even have a floppy controller [which I believe was something that DOS
insists on], so I doubt that it has any ISA slots. [To be honest, it may not
have any slots whatsoever, with everything being on the motherboard. It's an
HP e-Vectra, which seems to be a small desktop box akin to a laptop with a
PSU]

Hmm. All talk, no action. As bad as mediaeval "scientists".

And are Phil and Wookey really hoping that *I*'m going to go grovelling
around in the xfree86 source code, when I don't have the disk space for it,
and have a perfectly functional 3.3.6 Xserver on my other root partition? :-)

[blame Matthew Willcox for the 2 root partitions.]

Nicholas Clark