Re: Unremovable broken package

In message <20010222155304.R8988@patrix.org> you wrote:

I think you meant to reply to the list instead of me.

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 07:08:39PM +0000 or thereabouts, Peter Naulls wrote:
> > What happens when you try to reinstall it over the top?
> >
> > e.g.
> >   dpkg -i <gsfonts-package>
>
> I can't find it... (it's in unstable). I looked on ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/blabalbala/binary-arm, but there's nothing there except 3 files.... did the location of the files change?

Yeah.  Confusing if you didn't know:

http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gsfonts-x11/

> > or
> >  apt-get install gsfonts-x11
>
> This just tries to complete the package installation that started failing a few weeks ago, since there's no new gsfonts-x11 yet.

Yes, ok - try the other one.

> A friend of mine had this same problem too, on his x86 debian box a few months ago. We never figured out what was wrong (even dpkg -i blablabal failed I think), and the only way
> he made it go away was getting his new hard drive he ordered and reinstalling everything...

If the current removal script fails, dpkg will also try the removal
script from the new package - I suspect this might work in this case.

You should also make sure all the depenecies are properly met - if not,
then the removal may go wrong.  In the worst case, you can look at the
removal scripts themselves (they live in /var/lib/dpkg/info) and see why
they go wrong.  If you really must, you can remove these scripts, but I
wouldn't reccomend this, as you might not fully uninstall the package.

Peter

 Peter Naulls - peter@erble.freeserve.co.uk
 Homepage - http://free.prohosting.com/~chocky/
 Java for RISC OS and ARM - http://www.java.riscos.org.uk/