Re: Kernel problem under debian

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 09:24:18PM +0100, Angelo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Debian 2.2, but I have the same problems as under Reddhat.
> The installation is very instable (memory problems ?). I fixed it by
> recompiling a 2.4.0-testx kernel and that worked under Redhat and the system
> was stable. But after updating to Debian 2.2 the kernel refuses to run. It
> does uncompress and then hangs. So I recompiled a new kernel (crosscompiled
> on a Redhat 6.2 linux running on a Intel). This has the same problem ... it
> hangs after uncompressing. Could someone please tell me what I need to do, to
> make the kernel working ? Do I need to change something to the kernelsources
> to make it run on Debian ? Is there anyone who has it a 2.4.0 kernel running
> under Debian.

I found that debian was expecting Unix98 ptys to be configured, whereas
redhat wasn't.

So in /usr/src/linux/.config I have
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256

CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y

This may not be the problem, however.
Can you get at /var/log/messages on the RiscPC to see what diagnostics
are in there?
(the answer should be yes, either via another linux install (I've got /dev/hda3
and /dev/hda4 as 2 root partitions) or using !IscaFS, or by removing the
HD and temporarily installing it in your PC (although that then would need
a kernel with ADFS partition support. erm.))

Without the diagnostics from /var/log/messages or the serial port (I don't
know how to do that) anyone on either list you've cross posted to will be
guessing.

Nicholas Clark