Re: Compiling kernel

Mark Daniel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just installed debian on my StrongARM RISC PC and I'm trying to
> compile a new 2.2.16 kernel. It compiles okay but when I boot it it hangs,
> after 'enrtering run level 1' saying 'no more processes' Can anyone
> tell me what might be wrong and how I mught be able to get it to work?

Sure.  Stock kernels just won't work, especially 2.2.  Debian-arm has patches,
I think most recently for 2.2.13, and there are other places to get patches- I'd
start at http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/

Note however, stock 2.4.0-test5 (with a dummy makefile and empty special.a in
arch/arm/special) *almost* builds- it fails only on redundant symbols in
kernel/kernel.o and arch/arm/kernel/kernel.o.  When I tried a lightly-patched
stock -test3, it couldn't mount root, so there are some potentially large issues
remaining, but we're getting there...

Perhaps when released, stock 2.4.x will build and run at last, and ARM will be a
fully-supported platform!  The proliferation of Linux-capable handhelds should
help make this happen. :-)

HTH,

-Adam P.