From: Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.infodrom.north.de>
Subject: Debian/ARM runs on (embedded) LART
To: debian-news@lists.debian.org
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:56:56 +0100

Debian Project                                    http://www.debian.org/
Debian/ARM runs on LART                                 press@debian.org
November 23, 2000

The Information and Communication Theory Group of the Delft University
of Technology is pleased to announce that Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 runs on
their LART embedded system.

Eric Mouw wrote us: "After we modified the ArmLinux IDE driver for the
LART, we were able to put a Linux distribution on the disk.  However,
there aren't that many distributions that support ArmLinux.  I am a
long-term Debian user (since Debian-1.0), so I'm familiar with the
high quality of the Debian distribution (both i386 and sparc) and
therefore I choosed debian-arm."

The debian-arm distribution didn't install without errors, but because
Eric is familiar with the installation procedure, he was able to
install debian-arm on the LART using their specially modified 2.2.14
kernel and the debian-arm resque disk.  The LART machine is able to
compile its own kernel and modules using the Debian supplied compiler,
so the stabilility of the complete platform has been proven.

>> About LART

The LART is a small yet powerful embedded computer capable of running
Linux, built around an Intel SA-1100 StrongARM processor.  Its
performance is around 250 MIPS while consuming less than 1 Watt of
power.  In a standard configuration it holds 32MB DRAM and 4MB Flash
ROM, which is sufficient for a Linux kernel and a sizeable ramdisk
image.

The hardware design files needed to build a LART are freely available
under an Open Hardware-ish license. All files can be found at
<http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/> .

>> About Debian

The Debian project is an organization of many users who volunteer
their time and effort.  Its tasks include maintaining and updating
Debian GNU/Linux which is a free distribution of the GNU/Linux
operating system, and the development of the Debian GNU/Hurd operating
system.

>> Contact Information

For further information, please send email to the Debian Press Team
<press@debian.org> or visit the Debian homepage at <http://www.debian.org/>.