Re: status of arm port

Based on the name, I assumed you were in Scandinavia or something;
from whois, though, it looks like you're in California.  That means
you're just uninformed :-)

First of all, it has been several years since crypto was restricted as
weaponry; it changed to be restricted as crypto.

Second, in January of this year, a long promised revision of the
regulations made it possible to freely export "open source" software
(which doesn't mean DFSG, though I'm pretty sure anything DFSG-free
would qualify.)  You need to report a URL to an email address at the
BXA, but that's reporting-only, *not* a request for permission; look
for the "Exception TSU" text.

Third, and finally, on October 19, 2000, the TSU exception was amended
to permit the export of binaries compiled from TSU-exempt source
code.  In particular, see:

http://www.bxa.doc.gov/Encryption/regs.htm
http://www.bxa.doc.gov/Encryption/pdfs/EncryptionRuleOct2K.pdf

There's a thread starting on debian-legal to get this straightened out
so that we can start including real crypto apps in main :-)

			_Mark_ <eichin@thok.org>
			The Herd of Kittens
			Debian Package Maintainer
			former commercial Munitions Exporter

ps. yes, legally: back then even if you got all the licenses, it was
still a munition :-)