Re: Compiling kernel

In message your last message you wrote:

> Mark Daniel wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just installed debian on my StrongARM RISC PC and I'm trying to
> > compile a new 2.2.16 kernel. It compiles okay but when I boot it it
> > hangs,
> > after 'enrtering run level 1' saying 'no more processes' Can anyone
> > tell me what might be wrong and how I mught be able to get it to work?
>
> Sure.  Stock kernels just won't work, especially 2.2.  Debian-arm has
> patches, I think most recently for 2.2.13, and there are other places to
> get patches- I'd
> start at http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/

I had kinda worked that out ;-)  This is after patching and compiling
the kernel. I have scince tried 2.2.13 as reccomended and this
doesn't work either, however the error(s) are different, 2.2.13 crashes
much more nastily with pages of debug info etc /then/ hangs.

> Note however, stock 2.4.0-test5 (with a dummy makefile and empty
> special.a in arch/arm/special) *almost* builds- it fails only on
> redundant symbols in kernel/kernel.o and arch/arm/kernel/kernel.o.
> When I tried a lightly-patched stock -test3, it couldn't mount root,
> so there are some potentially large issues remaining, but we're getting
> there...
>
> Perhaps when released, stock 2.4.x will build and run at last, and ARM
> will be a fully-supported platform!  The proliferation of Linux-capable
> handhelds should help make this happen. :-)
>
> HTH,
>
> -Adam P.

Thanks,

Mark.

--
You only get *B*est *S*oftware *E*ver from Mad Cow Software
E-mail <mark@madsoft.freeserve.co.uk>