Re: xmms optimisation

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Fabien told me that splay works at about 10% cpu on a StrongARM, and I
> have some propritary routines from ARM LTD that use about 5%.
>
> The trick is to us only integer math, then ARM runs at a good clip.

Yup, indeed.  I presume xmms does indeed use floating-point maths in
its decoding.  Would a quick antidote to be to compile with the soft-
float library, or are the ramifications going to be too horrible?  For
instance, if no nonintegral arguments are passed about between any
external libraries (compiled without soft-float, presumably) and xmms,
would any problems ensue?

c.