xdm not accepting keyboard input

Hello,

Has anyone got either xdm or gdm to accept keyboard input?  I noticed an old
email message from Jim Pick stating that it wasn't working back in August of
99, but didn't notice any bug logged for this.  (Message subject New X
packages).

Basicaly my problem is identical to the one reported by Jim in August.  I get
no keyboard input if I start X via xdm, (And hence can't log in to X.) but
keyboard input works well if I start x via startx.

Chris