Re: Web-Page update ?

Jan-Uwe Finck wrote:

> Maybe someone (Jim, I suppose) could update the Web-Pages at
> debian.org..
> They are seriously out of date.
> The last message is from Jan '99, it looks like this port is dead,
> nobody working on it. But as far as I can see the contrary is true.

Indeed.  There are some important broken links too.  I sent a replacement HTML
page back in September (attached once again) which seems to have been ignored...

Zeen,

          Adam Powell                     http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/
          Thomas B. King Assistant Professor of Materials Engineering
          77 Massachusetts Ave. Rm. 4-117         Phone (617) 452-2086
          Cambridge, MA 02139 USA                   Fax (617) 253-5418

Title: Debian GNU/Linux -- ARM Port

[Debian Logo]Debian Project
HomeAbout DebianNewsDistributionSupportDevelopers' CornerSearch
[ Ports ] [ Debian-ARM ] [ Software Map ]

Debian-ARM

Status

  • Corel NetWinder

    The base system and X11 packages are working on the Corel NetWinder. It now boots! (although much work remains to be done)

  • Acorn RiscPC and older Acorn machines

    The Acorn RiscPC comes in several variants, which are basically the same machine, with different processor cards. The ARM610 and ARM710 processors use the armv3 instruction set. The StrongARM processor uses the armv4 instruction set. Unfortunately, the core logic on the RiscPC can't handle 16-bit transfers, so the halfword instructions of the StrongARM/armv4 instruction set cannot be used. We are going to recompile the userspace programs to use armv3, so in theory, these machines should soon work.

     There are no plans to support older, really slow Acorn ARM-based machines (using the ARM2 and ARM3 processors), although it is possible. ELF support for these processors does not currently exist.

  • StrongARM-based Windows CE H/PC Pro machines

    Microsoft and its partners have unveiled a new line of Windows CE Handheld PC Professional Edition (what a mouthful) based machines (codename "Jupiter", or WinCE 2.11), some of which use the StrongARM. Hewlett Packard has revealed their StrongARM-based "Jornada" handheld PC (more like a mini-laptop). Your take-home assignment is to figure out how to replace WinCE with Linux. :-)

  • Other ARM machines

    It should be possible to run the ARM port on Intel's EBSA evaluation board, the Chaltech CATS motherboard and other StrongARM based machines. None of these have been tested yet.

     The ARM architecture is very promising, and ARM chips are finding their way into a wide variety of NCs, PDAs, set-top boxes and embedded applications (ie. cellphones).

News

August 29, 1999
January 20, 1999
January 8, 1999
  • Mini-status report: We are now using a common source-code base with the other Debian ports for glibc and binutils. We've made good progress on the egcs compiler. Soon, we will have to break compatibility - we'll be recompiling everything to use a glibc with versioning, the ARMv3 instruction set (in userspace), and the -mapcs-float calling convention. Corel should be releasing source for their new SVGA X server in the next few weeks.
October 6, 1998
  • Debian NetWinder bootable image

  • A new image is now available that you can now use to boot your NetWinder directly into Debian - after you upgrade your flash and install the image to a partition. This image still uses Corel's old a.out kernel, but an ELF kernel should be available very soon.

     Read the installation instructions first, and then grab the image from:

    ftp://ftp.jimpick.com/pub/debian/arm/
October 4, 1998
  • Booted for the first time

  •  Woo hoo! With the help of the recently release NettROM 2.0.1 flash upgrade, it is now possible to boot directly into Debian installed on a partition (instead of booting Red Hat, and using a chroot image). Several packages need to be uploaded with the fixes - stay tuned.

August 11, 1998
  • Debian NetWinder chroot image

  •  I (Jim Pick) have prepared an image of the Debian base system that can be easily installed into a directory on a NetWinder, and used as a chroot environment - without affecting the software that Corel supplies.

    It is minimally configured - containing just enough installed packages to make it easy to download the official ARM packages from Debian and some additional non-official/local packages from my FTP server.

    It is simple enough to install that anybody with a NetWinder should be able to get it up and running.

    Read the installation instructions first, and then grab the image from:

    ftp://ftp.jimpick.com/pub/debian/netwinder/chroot-image/
August 1, 1998
  • Mini-status report: We've uploaded many packages officially, and they are now available on any Debian mirror in the dists/sid (pre-release) directory. Almost all of the Corel-supplied binaries have been replaced, and we have successfully been able to remove ld.so.1 and termcap fron the system. Package count: 60 binary packages in "main". The mailing list has been moved to lists.debian.org and it is now an "open" list.
July 22, 1998
  • Source code for gcc, glibc, gdb and binutils has been made available by Corel at ftp.netwinder.org - so now we can put together a complete system built from source!
July 17, 1998
June 26, 1998
  • Corel Computer is now taking orders for the NetWinder DM in several configurations. They are going to ship on June 30th!

  • Pat Beirne has released all new tools (gcc, binutils, etc) that use a new ELF format which breaks binary compatibility with all the old stuff. That's not a big problem for us, since we are starting from scratch.

  • Mini-status report: We have a dedicated machine now, thanks to Alan DeKok and Corel. Raul Miller has gotten much of the base system to build and has gotten dpkg to work. Not much has happened in the last week as we were waiting for Pat's new GNU/ELF stuff.

Contacts

This is a list of people who are willing to work at compiling packages for the new architecture.

 If you want to get added to this list of porters, send a note to Jim Pick, and also sign up at NetWinder.org - it's probably also a good idea to sign up with the linux-arm mailing list.

 If you just want to join the mailing list to see what's up, read the mailing list instructions below.

  1. Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com>

  2. Project Coordinator (for now)

  3. Steve Dunham <dunham@cps.msu.edu>

  4.

  5. Joel Klecker <jk@espy.org>

  6.

  7. Sean "Shaleh" Perry <shaleh@livenet.net>

  8. Machine coordinator for Alan DeKok's NetWinder

  9. Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>

  10.

  11. Behan Webster <behan@pobox.com>

  12. Located in Ottawa area where Corel is. Member of OCLUG.

  13. Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu>

  14.

  15. Ralph Giles <Ralph_Giles@sfu.ca>

  16.

  17. Igor Grobman <igor@igoria.net>

  18.

  19. Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org>

  20.

  21. Eric Leblanc <jughead@debian.org>

  22.

  23. Robert La Quey <boblq@yahoo.com>

  24.

  25. Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com>

  26.

  27. Laszlo "jimmyPhD" Zsolt Kiss <jimmyphd@telnet.hu>

  28.

  29. Paul Reavis <preavis@partnersoft.com>

  30.

  31. Alan DeKok <aland@ox.org>

  32. OCLUG member, helped Corel get NetWinder going, donating root access to his NetWinder

  33. Anders Hammarquist <iko@iko.pp.se>

  34.

  35. Alen Zekulic <azekulic@fesb.hr>

  36.

  37. Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org>

  38.

  39. Fabien Ninoles <fab@tzone.org>

  40.

  41. Pat Beirne <patb@corelcomputer.com>

  42. Corel Computer Software Engineer

  43. Allan Anderson <cerebus@amer.net>

  44.

  45. Charles Paul <epsasnova@flinet.com>

  46.

  47. Vincent Renardias <vincent@waw.com>

  48. Owns a RiscPC600 - so is interested in the ARM porting aspects

  49. "Seth M. Landsman" <seth@job.cs.brandeis.edu>

  50.

  51. Charles Briscoe-Smith <cpbs@debian.org>

  52.

  53. David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com>

  54.

  55. Alain Toussaint <alaint@cgocable.ca>

  56.

  57. Eric Molitor <emolitor@acm.org>

  58.

  59. Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@papadoc.nocrew.org>

  60.

  61. Stephen Marney <scmarney@erols.com>

  62.

  63. Jon Babcock <jon@kanji.com>

  64.

  65. Nicolas Jungers <nicolas@linkline.be>

  66.

  67. Scott Bambrough <scottb@corelcomputer.com>

  68. Corel Computer Software Engineer

  69. Parthasarathy Nagarajan <naga@hotmail.com>

  70.

  71. "Brian M. Almeida" <bma@debian.org>

  72.

  73. Dae Gyu Kim <dgkim@cogs.susx.ac.uk>

  74.

  75. Tor Slettnes <tor@slett.net>

  76.

  77. Robert Kondner <rkondner@home.com>

  78. Interested in building and selling ARM based platforms running Linux.

Where can I find out more information?

Mailing List

Software Map

The software map page describes what software is available upstream and who's working on it.

 The .debs are available from:

Links

Back to the Debian GNU/Linux homepage.

This page is also available in the following languages:
Spanish
How to set the default document language
See the Debian contact page for information on contacting us.

Last Modified: Wed, Jan 27 23:42:02 UTC 1999
Copyright © 1997-1999 SPI; See license terms