building Kaffe?

I'm having trouble building Kaffe on a netwinder running debian. It
compiles
nicely, but when I do a 'make check' or try to run a compiled java
program
I get the following error:

---
Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
java/lang/NullPointerException
        at
kaffe.lang.SystemClassLoader.findResources(SystemClassLoader.java:46)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.getResources(ClassLoader.java:172)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.getResource(ClassLoader.java:149)
        at
java.lang.ClassLoader.getResourceAsStream(ClassLoader.java:199)
        at
java.lang.ClassLoader.getSystemResourceAsStream(ClassLoader.java:211)
        at java.lang.System.<clinit>(System.java:49)
        at java.lang.ThreadGroup.add(ThreadGroup.java:86)
---

This time Kaffe was configured with the following line:

./configure --with-engine=intrp --with-staticvm --with-staticlib

/Peter