Re: Cross platform install

Philip Blundell <pb@nexus.co.uk> writes:

> >Maybe I should have made my question more clear: I know that the ext2
> >filesystem is portable, but are the Debian tools portable? I've no doubt
> >that I can untar the debian-arm base system to the ramdisk, but is it
> >possible to run an i386 dpkg/apt and tell it to use debian-arm packages
> >for input and the ramdisk as output?
>
> I'm not completely sure, actually - maybe one of the Debian gurus
> can comment.  But you can certainly use dpkg-deb -x if all else
> fails.

I'm pretty sure that dpkg/apt don't support cross-installs.  It would
be an interesting feature addition.

As Philip said, dpkg-deb -x will work.

If you could convince somebody to give you an account on a NetWinder
or an Acorn, perhaps you'd be able to make the image there (in a
chroot environment, perhaps).

Cheers,

 - Jim