Re: New packages

chris mckillop <cdmckill@warg.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> On 6 Jul 1999, Jim Pick wrote:
>

> > BTW, the old gcc and binutils are still in 'sid'.  The new binutils
> > and gcc went (are going) into unstable.
> >

> 	Well, I was not able to get anything working so I started over
> with a fresh disk image and played around a little.  I found the following
> problems....
>
> * I had to add /usr/lib/gcc-ss/lib/gcc-lib/arm-debian-linux-gnu/gcc-2.95
> to /etc/ld.so.conf in order for the programs in /usr/lib/gcc-ss/bin to
> run from being in the $PATH.  If I didn't add them to ld.so.conf things
> would complain about shared libraries not being found.

That's strange.  You shouldn't have to.

> * Now that I can compile, when I go to link I am getting the error..
>    "gcc: Internal compiler error: program collect2 got fatal signal 11"

Weird.  I sometimes get spurious signal 11's on my box.  They seem to
be rather random, and rare enough that I can get away with just
restarting the compile.

> 	All of this is better then before when gcc would simply core
> everytime I went to use it!!!  I am using the current disk image +
> the libc6 from potato, the binutils from potato, and the gcc suite from
> the Incoming ftp site.
>
> 	Is there anything I can do to help solve this problem or is
> it obvious what the issue is?

I'm not sure what the problem is.  This is weird.  Do you have
anything strange in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LD_PRELOAD, /etc/ld.so.conf,
or /etc/ld.so.preload?

Try setting LD_DEBUG="bindings files libs reloc symbols versions" -
that should tell you if there are any wrong libraries getting linked
in.

Cheers,

 - Jim