Re: cross-compiling the kernel

>I found I needed them for building the cross-compiler, though. I don't

Oh yes.  This does tend to be the case.  More or less any headers will do
actually - they're only used for a couple of prototypes.

>Where in the egcs source are the possible targets listed or documented?

I don't think there is any comprehensive documentation of them at the moment.
This is an area where things could be improved.

>So how does SEGMENT_SIZE get defined for you, or do you somehow
>circumvent it entirely?

I think it's handled by this clause in a.out.h.  If you configured your
compiler as arm-elf then it may not be defining the right preprocessor symbols
by default and the Linux specifics may not be getting correctly enabled.

(This is about line 130 of include/linux/a.out.h by the way)

#ifdef linux
#include <asm/page.h>
#if defined(__i386__) || defined(__mc68000__)
#define SEGMENT_SIZE	1024
#else
#ifndef SEGMENT_SIZE
#define SEGMENT_SIZE	PAGE_SIZE