Re: New glibc and sysvinit (WARNING)

miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg) writes:

> In article <cistron.8790gn9ypk.fsf@fleming.jimpick.com>,
> Jim Pick  <jim@jimpick.com> wrote:
> >Be careful when upgrading sysvinit - it will overwrite /etc/init.d/rcS.
> >In the disk image, I have this line at the top of /etc/init.d/rcS:
> >
> >/sbin/insmod-a.out -f /lib/modules/misc/fpem.o
> >
> >You'll need to re-add it, or the floating point emulator will not load
> >during boot, and you'll be stuck.
>
> Why didn't you just add a /etc/init.d/fpem.sh and made a link to
> it in /etc/rcS.d/S02fpem.sh or so ? That's the proper way ..
>
> In fact you should put that in some arm-specific package so that
> you don't have to change sysvinit at all.  And for initial boot you
> could put that line in /sbin/unconfigured.sh as well.

That's what I was planning to do.  I'll put it into the FP emulator
package when I do that.  I'm just a bit slow getting around to it.

Editing /etc/init.d/rsS was just a crude hack I made on the current
bootable image.

Right now, we're using Corel's old staticly linked /bin/sh (bash
1.something, without any FP code).  I need to backport a patch from
Russell King's 2.1.x kernel so the kernel doesn't choke when FP code
is executed before the emulator is loaded - then we can use the Debian
bash.

That'll take a little bit of work for me to figure out, that's why
I've just done that crude hack for now.  It's definitely not going to
be done that way on the next image I make.

Cheers,

 - Jim