Re: Signal 11, unpredictable segfaults, etc.

Tor Slettnes <tor@slett.net> writes:

> I just received my Netwinder DM a couple of days ago, and off I go to
> try installing a few updates, compiling a few programs, etc.  Problem
> is that even for relatively small/innocent commands I receive a lot of
> segfaults, often such that the computer hangs completely and needs a
> power-off reboot.
>
> One example:
>        $ gcc test.c
>        gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 11
>
> Running the same command again:
>        $ gcc test.c
>        /usr/arm-linuxelf/bin/ld:redirect: file format not recognized; treating as linker script
>        /usr/arm-linuxelf/bin/ld:redirect:0: parse error
>

> Or I can be running 'emacs-nox', and e.g. press C-o to open a line.
> Bang.  Or sometimes certain commands in init.d crashes while starting
> up or shutting down.  Or sometimes even 'ls' segfaults.

I can't really help you much with the Corel-supplied stuff outside of
the chroot.  I've never really used it on my NetWinder - just to boot,
and then the first thing I do is go into the chroot.

> Once I am inside a Debian chroot environment, things seem a little
> more stable(!); but sometimes that environment segfaults and puts me
> back in the RedHat root environment.

I've never had that happen to me.

> By the way, 'ldconfig' fails with the message:
>     /sbin/ldconfig: warning: /usr/lib/libc.so is not a DLL or ELF
> library, skipping

Is that inside the chroot?  I don't seem to be getting that (or maybe
I was, and I edited /etc/ld.so.conf).

> Are these problems normal?  Do you folks see these or not?
> Are these software issues that can be patched?  Or should I return it
> for a new one?

It looks like they are all software problems.  In a few weeks, I
expect that both Corel's Red Hat stuff, and our Debian stuff will be a
lot more polished.

Right now, I'm working on egcs and glibc.

I got egcs to build, and it mostly works.  But when compiling glibc
with it, I believe I have discovered some compiler bugs - that is why
I haven't released it yet.  Hopefully I can get this problem solved
this weekend.

Once I get egcs and glibc done, I'd like to move on to using Debian as
the root disk.  Then I'll make a better Debian image (the current one
has several problems - ie. I didn't have my clock set properly).

Cheers,

 - Jim