Re: Header files (again)

Hi guys,

The following feature test macros can be used to control the definitions
included by the glibc headers.  This information is from the README if I
remember correctly.  Of particular note is the _BSD_SOURCE and the BSD
compatibility library.  It may be of use when porting source written for
BSD flavour unices.

Feature Test Macros

The exact set of features available when you compile a source file is
controlled by which "feature test macros" defined.  When a program is
compiled using `gcc -ansi', only the ISO C library features are enabled,
unless additional features are explicitly requested by defining one or more
of the feature macros.  These macros are enabled using `#define' preprocessor
directives at the top of a source code files.  The directives must come before
any `#include' of a system header file.  It is best to make them the very first
thing in the file, preceded only by comments.  Alternatively the `-D' option
to gcc can be used to define a feature test macro.

_POSIX_SOURCE
When this macro is defined the functionality from the POSIX.1 standard
(IEEE Standard 1003.1) is available, as well as all of the ISO C facilities.

_POSIX_C_SOURCE
When this macro is defined with a value of  1, the functionality from the
POSIX.1 standard (IEEE Standard 1003.1) is made available.  If this macro
is defined with a value of 2, then the functionality from both the POSIX.1
standard and the POSIX.2 standard (IEEE Standard 1003.2) is made available.
This is in addition to the ISO C facilities.

_BSD_SOURCE
When this macro is defined the functionality derived from 4.3 BSD Unix is
included as well as the ISO C, POSIX.1, and POSIX.2 material.  Some of the
features derived from 4.3 BSD Unix conflict with the corresponding features
specified by the POSIX.1 standard.  When macro is defined, the 4.3 BSD
definitions take precedence over the POSIX definitions.  Due to the nature
of some of the conflicts between 4.3 BSD and POSIX.1,  a special "BSD
compatibility library" must be used when linking programs compiled for BSD
compatibility.  This is because some functions must be defined in two
different ways, one of them in the normal C library, and one of them in the
compatibility library.  When defining _BSD_SOURCE, pass the option
`-lbsd-compat' when linking.  Then the linker will find the functions in the
compatibility library before looking for them in the normal C library.

_SVID_SOURCE
When this macro is defined functionality derived from SVID is included as well
as the ISO C, POSIX.1, POSIX.2, and X/Open material.

_XOPEN_SOURCE
_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED
When this macro is defined functionality described in the X/Open Portability
Guide is included.  This is a superset of the POSIX.1 and POSIX.2 functionality.
In fact _POSIX_SOURCE and _POSIX_C_SOURCE are automatically defined with this
macro.  Since this is the unification of all Unices, functionality available
only in BSD and SVID is also included.  If the macro _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED is
also defined, even more functionality is available.  All functions necessary
for the X/Open Unix brand are made available.  If the macro _XOPEN_SOURCE is
defined to have the value 500 then all the functionality described so far plus
some new definitions from the Single Unix specification, version 2 are made
available.

_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
When this macro is defined some extra functions are available which rectify
a few shortcomings in all previous standards.  More concrete implementations
of  the functions fseeko and ftello are available.  Without these functions
the difference between the ISO C interface fseek, ftell and the low-level
POSIX interface lseek would lead to problems.  This macro was introduced as
part of the Large File Support extension (LFS).

_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
When this macro is defined an additional set of functions is made available
which enables 32 bit systems to use files of sizes beyond the usual limit
of 2GB.  This interface is not available if the system does not support files
that large.  On systems where the natural file size limit is greater than
2GB (i.e., on 64 bit systems) the new functions are identical to the replaced
functions.  This new functionality is made available via a new set of types
and functions which replace the existing ones.

The names of these new objects contain `64' to indicate the intention.  For
example: off_t vs. off64_t and fseeko vs. fseeko64.   This macro was
introduced as part of the Large File Support extension (LFS).  This is a
transition interface for the time when 64 bit files offsets are not generally
used.

_FILE_OFFSET_BITS
Defining this macro allows the programmer to decide which file system interface
shall be used.  This macro allows the programmer to specify which interface will
be available (ie: either 32 bit or 64 bit offsets), while _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
makes the 64 bit interface available as an additional interface.
_FILE_OFFSET_BITS allows to use the 64 bit interface to replace the 32 bit
interface completely.

If _FILE_OFFSET_BITS is undefined or defined to the value 32 then nothing
changes.  The 32 bit interface is used and types like off_t have a size of
32 bits on 32 bit systems.  If the macro is defined to the value 64 the large
file interface replaces the 32 bit interface, the functions are not made
available under different names as they are when _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE is
defined.  Instead the old function names now reference the new functions, a
call to fseeko now calls fseeko64.

This macro should only be selected if the system provides mechanisms for
handling large files.  On 64 bit systems this macro has no effect since the
`*64' functions are identical to the normal functions.  This macro was
introduced as part of the Large File Support extension (LFS).

_GNU_SOURCE
When this macro is defined everything is included: ISO C, POSIX.1, POSIX.2,
BSD, SVID, X/Open, LFS, and the GNU extensions.  In the cases where POSIX.1
conflicts with BSD, the POSIX definitions take precedence.  If you want to
get the full effect of _GNU_SOURCE but make the BSD definitions take precedence
over the POSIX definitions, use the following sequence of definitions:

          #define _GNU_SOURCE
          #define _BSD_SOURCE
          #define _SVID_SOURCE

When this is done a program must be linked with the BSD compatibility library
by passing the `-lbsd-compat' option when linking.

_REENTRANT
_THREAD_SAFE
When one of these macros is defined reentrant versions of several functions
get declared.  Some of the functions are specified in POSIX.1c but many others
are only available on a few other systems or are unique to GNU libc.  The
problem is that the standardization of the thread safe C library interface
still is behind.  Unlike some other systems no special version of the C
library must be used for linking.  There is only one version of libc, but
this version must have been compiled as thread safe.

These affect the header files in three ways:

1) The include files define prototypes for the reentrant variants of some of
the standard library functions, e.g. gethostbyname_r() as a reentrant
equivalent to gethostbyname().

2) Some <stdio.h> functions are no longer defined as macros, e.g. getc() and
putc(). In a multithreaded program, stdio functions require additional locking,
which the macros don't perform.

3) Most importantly, <errno.h> redefines errno, so errno refers to the
thread-specific errno location rather than the global errno variable. This is
achieved by the following #define in <errno.h>:

                 #define errno (*(__errno_location()))

This causes each reference to errno to call the __errno_location() function
to obtain the location where error codes should be stored. This returns the
location in  the thread descriptor reserved for holding the current value of
errno for the calling thread. Thus, each thread operates on a different errno
location.  If all threads were to store error codes in the same, global errno
variable, then the value of errno after a system call or library function
returns would be unpredictable: between the time a system call stores its
error code in the global errno and your code inspects errno to see which error
occurred, another thread might have stored another error code in the same
errno location.

The glibc designers recommend _GNU_SOURCE be defined in new programs.  If the
`-ansi' option to gcc is not specified and none of the feature test macros are
defined explicitly, the effect of defininge _GNU_SOURCE is equivalent to
defining _POSIX_C_SOURCE equal to 2, and defining _POSIX_SOURCE,  _SVID_SOURCE,
and _BSD_SOURCE equal to 1.

When a feature test macro is defined to request a larger class of features,
it is harmless to define in addition a feature test macro for a subset of
those features.  For example, if  _POSIX_C_SOURCE is defined, then defining
_POSIX_SOURCE as well has no effect.  Likewise, if _GNU_SOURCE is defined,
then defining either _POSIX_SOURCE or _POSIX_C_SOURCE or _SVID_SOURCE as
well has no effect.

Note, however, that the features of _BSD_SOURCE are not a subset of any of the
other feature test macros supported.  This is because it defines BSD features
that take precedence over the POSIX features that are requested by the other
macros.  For this reason, defining _BSD_SOURCE in addition to any of the other
feature test macros does have an effect: it causes the BSD features to take
priority over any conflicting POSIX features.